Advice for Grads from Diahan Collins, Career Advancement Expert
Once you’ve finished your training and earned your certifications, you’re qualified for a great career, but you’ve still got to put your best foot forward to impress employers. Fortunately, Per Scholas has a team of amazing Career Advancement professionals with years of experience and knowledge to share with Per Scholas students and graduates.
Prior to working at Per Scholas, Diahan Collins worked for JPMorgan as a Team Leader in the Operations Customer Service Department for eight years. She also worked for Young Adult Institute (YAI) as an Employment Training Specialist and Family Service Specialist for over three years, and for FedCap Rehabilitation Services as Job Preparation and Placement Coordinator for a year. Now she helps prepare Per Scholas students for the job market as a Career Advancement Manager in Brooklyn. We asked her to share the most important advice for Per Scholas graduates to remember as they set out to land their next position. Here’s what she said:
1) Make sure your resume is tailored to the position that you are applying for. Review the job description and key requirements carefully.
2) Make sure you are networking more than you are applying for jobs online. That is, interface with potential individuals who can lead you to an opportunity. Don’t forget about the folks who are already employed in your field. They can be a great help in your job search!
3) Don’t forget about the company that you desire to work for. Go directly to their website and apply.
4) When utilizing LinkedIn, make sure your profile is free of typos and your presentation is professional.
5) Effective tracking tools will help you organize your job search. Keep notes of the companies you have applied for, agencies you have registered with, number of interviews, references, and professional networks.
6) Your Career Coach and the Business Solutions Team are here to assist in your job search.
7) Don’t give up! The more No’s you get will bring you closer to your Yes.
Sign up for our Monthly Impact Report
Your support makes a powerful difference in our ability to build a technology talent training solution that creates greater access and equity.