It’s no secret that women are under-represented in the IT field. Although women make up more than half of U.S. college graduates, in 2010 they were awarded just 14% of Computer and Information Sciences undergraduate degrees — just 0.4 percent of female college freshmen say they intend to major in computer science. Per Scholas Women in Tech, now in its 3rd program year, was designed especially to address this industry diversity gap. By 2016, fifty percent of the Per Scholas student body will be women — Per Scholas’ commitment toward true gender parity in the IT industry.
The Women in Tech course is “women only” creating a supportive learning environment for women students who feel more comfortable studying IT with other women — a subject matter brand new to the majority; or who have other challenges, like caring for family members and children, that require some accommodation. The training is 100% free to participants thanks to the generous support of private and corporate funders.
Looking to apply? Per Scholas is enrolling for its next Women in Tech free job training course — four classes are scheduled for 2014. Waste no time and apply today!
Our approach tailors job training and development to fill the well-paying, skilled roles that actually exist in the local workforce. The Women in Tech A+ and Network+ training is designed to provide successful candidates with knowledge and skills required to understand and implement configuration and troubleshooting of desktop, laptops, portables, printers and network devices. Students also receive one day of Career Development for 12 of the 15 weeks readying them for the professional workforce. All program graduates receive job placement assistance for up-to two years following graduation resulting in more than 80% of graduates landing jobs, several of which are through our employer partners. Read about some successful Per Scholas students in Student of the Month (many of whom are women).
MORE ABOUT THIS TRAINING
- 15-week IT Training Syllabus
- Career Development Syllabus
- CompTIA A+
- Read what CompTIA wrote about the Women in Tech program
The Women in Tech program also includes:
- Dedicated service partnerships with women’s organizations
- Sessions that explore women’s issues in and out of IT
- Linkages with employers specifically interested in expanding the diversity of the IT workforce for women
- Classes are Monday – Friday, 9:00 – 4:00 or 9:30 – 4:30. There are no evening or weekend courses.
- The Women in Tech program is hosted at the Bronx campus only.
- Two classes run each calendar year comprised of 20-25 women.
- Interested candidates are encouraged to attend an information session at the earliest convenience hosted Monday – Friday every week, 9:00 AM, at our Bronx location (804 East 138th Street, Bronx, NY). No appointment is necessary. Just show up and please be on time. You will be asked to take an assessment test. Learn more about that assessment here. Please feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org in the meantime with any questions.
- Call 718-991-8400, or email email@example.com if you have any questions.
VOLUNTEERS, CORPORATE ENGAGEMENT & OTHER SUPPORT
If you are interested in joining our efforts to empower more women in tech, please contact Sarah Conte, Corporate Relations & Volunteer Manager, for more information (firstname.lastname@example.org).