It’s no secret that women are under-represented in the IT field. Although women make up more than half of U.S. college graduates, in 2010 they were awarded just 14% of Computer and Information Sciences undergraduate degrees. Moreover, just 0.4 percent of female college freshmen say they intend to major in computer science.
Per Scholas’ Women in Tech (WIT), now in its third year, was designed to increase the number of women technicians enrolling in Per Scholas, gaining their first IT certifications and entering IT jobs. It is already helping us increase the proprotion of new women students enrolled in our trainings to 30%. Per Scholas has made an overarching organizational commitment to achieve 50% women’s enrollment by the end of 2016.
As with all Per Scholas trainings, WIT is 100% free to participants, thanks to generous support from public, private and corporate partners. The Fifth & Pacific Foundation (now becoming Kate Spade & Company) and the New York Women’s Foundation are WIT’s anchor supporters. Per Scholas is also partners of the New York Tech Meetup Women in Tech Coalition.
Want to enroll? Per Scholas offers a new Women in Tech class every quarter. Apply today!
Women in Tech offers the same high quality CompTIA A+ and Network+ certification training as our more general IT-Ready program, which continues to enroll both women and men. But as part of their career development training, WIT students engage in tailored activities to help them prepare to succeed in an overwhelmingly male-dominated workforce.
These activities include guest presentations, panels and lectures featuring successful women IT professionals; site visits to their workplaces; role-playing and other exercises simulating typical challenges reported by women in the IT world; and education about a wide range of women’s services, along with facilitated access to services any student needs herself.
As in IT-Ready, all program graduates receive career coaching, career development and employment services for up to two years following graduation. WIT graduates have also begun to form a vibrant alumni community, helping one another as well as newly enrolled students.
MORE ABOUT THIS TRAINING
- 13-week IT Training Syllabus
- Career Development Syllabus
- CompTIA A+
- Read what CompTIA wrote about the Women in Tech program
The Women in Tech program also includes:
- Dedicated service partnerships with women’s organizations
- Sessions that explore women’s issues in and out of IT
- Linkages with employers specifically interested in expanding the diversity of the IT workforce for women
- Classes are Monday – Friday, 9:00 – 4:00 or 9:30 – 4:30. There are no evening or weekend courses.
- The Women in Tech program is currently hosted at the Bronx (NYC) campus only.
- Four classes will enroll throughout 2014, each comprised of 20-25 women.
- Interested candidates are encouraged to attend an information session at their earliest convenience, hosted Monday – Friday every week, 9:00 AM, at our Bronx location (804 East 138th Street, Bronx, NY). No appointment is necessary. Just show up and please be on time. You will be asked to take an assessment test. Learn more about that assessment here. Please feel free to email email@example.com in the meantime with any questions.
- Call 718-991-8400, or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
VOLUNTEERS, CORPORATE ENGAGEMENT & OTHER SUPPORT
If you are interested in joining our efforts to bring more women into the IT workplace, please contact Sarah Conte, Corporate Relations & Volunteer Manager, for more information (email@example.com).